Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Git justdoit --all &

I just spent half an hour trying to get a patch of a single character up on origin/next of a project, and by the love of god, look at how much I had to type:

git fetch
git co origin/next
git cob fix/123456
### did my one-character change ###
git cob fixdone/123456
git push origin fixdone/123456

git fetch
git co origin/next
git cob next
git merge origin/fixdone/123456
git push origin/next
git co origin/next

git b -D next
git b -D fix/123456
git b -D fixdone/123456

All of this for a one character patch!

Ok, I didn't really spend half an hour on this one task alone, but you get the point.

I'm not that familiar with git and bash, so I'm sure there must be a better way of doing this. Considering that in open-source software (and probably corporate ones too, for that matter), one-line changes are the most common type of patches, having to type all of this sounds unnecessarily complicated, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment